New Phone Scam Could Hit Grand Junction
Another phone scam has been discovered in Colorado. Mesa County and Grand Junction could be next. Be aware.
Another day, another phone scam. They never do give up, do they?
In this newest version, people are cold calling and stating that they work for the State of Colorado in tech support. These scammers then tell you that there may be a virus on your computer and that they can remove it for you. To add to its authenticity, scammers are using the real phone number for caller ID - 1-800-222-4444.
Colorado State Attorney General Cynthia Coffman stated that these calls are fake. She continues by saying that no one in state government would have any knowledge of your computer. And even if they did, no one would call you and tell you they could fix, for a price.
To stay on your toes and avoided these types of scams, the attorney general's office offer the following advice:
- If a stranger calls you, emails you or you notice a pop-up on your computer claiming 'WARNING!' it is not real.
- Real companies would never call, email or send a message on your computer.
- If someone does call and tells you that you have a virus and they work for tech support, hang up immediately.
- Never give someone outside access or control of your computer.
- If you think you do have a virus on your computer, call the help number from that manufacturer or a local repair company.
- Update security software often and keep it turned on and all firewalls and pop-up blocker are active.
If you feel that you may have been a victim of this or any other type of scam, please call 1-800-222-4444 or file a report.