Top Foods Yours Kids Are Likely to Choke On
According to a new study 112,000 kids in the U.S. went to the emergency room between 2001 and 2009 because of CHOKING incidents . . . that's about 34 kids a day! Find out what your kids are MOST likely to choke on here . . .
Kids stick everything in their mouths, but FOOD is the #1 item, being that in 3 out of 5 that were hospitalized were because they choked on FOOD. And according to statistics about 57 kids under 14 DIE in the U.S. every year from choking on food.
The TOP foods your kids are MOST likely to choke on include:
- Hard candy, which accounts for about 15% of all choking accidents in kids.
- Other types of candy and gum, 12.8%
- Meat, not including hot dogs, 12.2%
- Bone, 12%
- Fruits and vegetables, 9.7%
- Formula, milk, or breast milk, 6.7% . . . I'm sure that's mostly BABIES
- Seeds, nuts, or shells, 6.5%
- Chips, pretzels, or popcorn, 4.6%
- Cookies, crackers, or biscuits, 3.1%
- Hot dogs, 2.6%
I'll be honest I'm terrified my son Dalton is going to choke on something, and I know that you can never be entirely prepared for an emergency but I think I'm educated as to what to do in case he consciously chokes. What about you?
I don't ever remember choking on anything as a child but I do remember getting a "Tart n Tiny" candy stuck up my nose!
What about you: Did you ever choke on anything as a child? Join the conversation by posting your comments below!