Grand Junction Blood Center Needs Donations Right Now
Do you have O positive blood? For that matter, do you have any blood you could spare? A blood bank in Grand Junction could really use it.
With the cancellation of blood drives in the valley, the St. Mary's Regional Blood Center in Grand Junction is running short on blood. They've posted twice on social media today urging the public to come in and donate.
Think about this for a minute. In past years, you would see the Bloodmobile at area farmers markets and public events all the time. For that matter, the Bloodmobile would make the rounds to the smaller communities in Western Colorado not equipped with their own blood donation centers. Then, along comes 2020.
With the recent uptick in COVID, we have had to cancel many of our blood drives. The blood center is now in critical need of donations to make up from our cancelled drives. - St. Mary's Regional Blood Center via Facebook
In addition to needing blood donations in general, they are in serious need of O Positive. As it turns out, I happen to be O Positive. My last donation was a little over a month ago. I should be eligible to donate again in a few weeks. The blood center will call me when it's time to donate again. Trust me, it's quick, easy, and with the exception of this little pokey thing they stick your finger with, absolutely painless.
Here's my list, a list I love to share over and over, of my top five reasons why you should donate blood at the St. Mary's Regional Blood Center:
- It's painless. Seriously, it doesn't hurt. Yeah, they have to poke a finger with a little needle to get a sample, and that's kind of a drag. Aside from that, you hardly notice anything.
- The people at the blood bank are awesome.
- You really do get free orange juice and cookies!
- You never know when you might need blood. Wouldn't it give you real peace of mind to know there was blood waiting should you need it?
- You literally are saving a life. How many times today will somebody need blood right here in Grand Junction? How about the country? Will it be someone you know? A family member? Be proactive! Emergencies happen without warning, but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared.
Are you ready to donate? They do ask you to make an appointment. It's easy to schedule an appointment online with their user-friendly Donor Portal.
You'll find the blood center at 750 Wellington Avenue in Grand Junction. Donation hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon.