Mesa County Sheriff's Department is offering free holiday home checks if you are going away for the holidays. Empty houses are prime targets for crooks during this time of year.

If you will be away from your home or business for an extended time, you need to make a request for a Vacation Home Check. The process is simple.

To request a Vacation Home Check you must fill out this request form. Please include when you will be gone, emergency contact information, who may be at the residence taking care of pets and the property, as well as any other information the sheriff's deputies should know. If you live within the Grand Junction city limits, The GJPD will conduct Vacation Home Checks, in the same manner, just click here for the form

If you see any suspicious activity in your neighborhood at any time of the year, you can also request extra patrols in your area. To request extra patrols you must fill out this request form. Requests must include what type of suspicious activity is occurring that we should be on the lookout for. These requests automatically expire after two weeks.

You can also help your house or business look more occupied by installing timers on main lights, having someone visit and move curtains and other items, and by making sure your mail is collected and your trash is out on the regular collection days.

Extra patrols and Vacation Home Checks in the area are conducted by the Grand Junction Police and Sheriff's Department 'Citizen on Patrol' volunteers based on their availability. Filling out these forms allows you to make a request only and there are no guarantees as to when or how often the extra patrols will be conducted. The law enforcement offices do not assume liability for loss or damage to any property during the requested Patrol or Holiday Check times.