Five Things to Know About Colorado Mesa’s Playoff Football Game This Weekend
The Colorado Mesa Mavericks have finally made it back to the NCAA Division II playoffs and here are five things to know about this weekend's game.
The Mavericks take on Texas A & M Commerce Saturday at 1:00PM in Commerce, Texas. Here's five random things to know about the Mavericks' playoff appearance.
- The Mavericks are making their first appearance in the NCAA playoffs since 2007. Overall, the Mavericks have a 1-3 playoff record and have lost three consecutive playoff games. Their last playoff win was a 40-21 win over Northeastern State in 2000.
- The Mavericks are tied for 24th in the latest American Football Coaches Association poll while Texas A & M Commerce is ranked #8.
- The Mavericks scored fewer than 33 points in a game only once this season-- and that was a 20-19 win over CSU-Pueblo. Averaging over 42 points per game, the Mavericks' offense ranks #8 in Division II.
- If the Mavericks win this weekend, they would travel to Grand Rapids, Michigan to face top-ranked and undefeated Grand Valley State.
- CMU Head Coach Russ Martin is in his fifth season with the Mavericks and has compiled a record of 34-21 leading the Mavs to three consecutive winning seasons and two RMAC championships.