Top 5 Reasons You Should Join GJ Christmas Tree Facebook Group
A Grand Junction-based Facebook page invites you to show off your Christmas tree. Okay, so it's early, but the group is looking to get a jump start on the season. Here are five reasons why you should join this group.
Would you like to take a gander at some of the best Christmas trees in Western Colorado? Would you prefer not to get busted for breaking and entering while you do it? Here's a place where you can see several Grand Junction area trees all decked out for the holiday.
Facebook features a page called "Post Your Christmas Trees Here!" The page is home to a group of Western Colorado residents who graciously, and enthusiastically, post pictures of their decorated trees.
Believe it or not, the first post for the season went up on September 22, 2019. Why are they kicking this off so early? Well, according to the page's admin, they will be vacationing over the Thanksgiving holiday, and won't be available to "officially" kick things off at the normal time.
The page was created in 2012 by a former Grand Junction radio personality. This has turned into a major passion for him. The site features trees of every size, shape, and kind, from around the Western Slope.
At a glance, it appears as though everyone in the world spends more time on their tree than I do. Last year, mine received about an hour, and it was lucky to get that. Half of my lights didn't work. So what that tree is only half-illuminated? I like to think of myself as an optimist, so in my mind, half of the lights DID work. My theme for the year - Star Trek. Oddly, it seems this has been the theme for about, oh, roughly 25 years.
Why should you participate? Here are my top five reasons:
- Share decorating ideas, and get ideas, from other Western Colorado families
- It's a very inexpensive, and in this case, free, way to spread holiday cheer
- It's a great way to connect with everyone you know and let them see what you're doing for the holidays
- The really good Christmas decorations tend to disappear from stores early. With this group, you can get ideas early in the season, and acquire the supplies you need before they're gone
- Even though people tend to jump the gun when it comes to the holiday, it seems as though Christmas always comes and goes in the blink of an eye. Why not enjoy it while you can?
Would you like to feature your tree on this page? Do it. You can submit your photos. You'll find that members of the group check-in frequently to see what the Joneses are up to. Most comments are filled with "oohs" and "ahhs" in sincere support of each other's fine work.
I spoke to the admin, and he would be delighted if you would join the group. Invite your friends. Show off that tree with pride.