These Are the 10 Most Stolen Cars in Colorado
Over the course of the past few years, Coloradans have dealt with an uptick in car thefts throughout the state. In 2020, we saw a significant spike in reported thefts with a 57 percent increase according to The Denver Channel.
When I was a teenager, I had my car broken into numerous times. It was a terrible feeling. Especially when I found my dash in shambles and the subwoofers missing out of my trunk. I used to love customizing my car with aftermarket audio parts until the last time I was a victim of theft. The sheer anxiety that having my vehicle violated gave me was enough to not give any more money to the hobby. That is only having a car broken into.
I can only imagine what it would be like to come out of a store, your home, or your workplace only to find your car, along with everything in it missing from the spot you parked it in.
The Denver Channel has highlighted the 10 most stolen vehicles in the state of Colorado According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau's annual Hot Wheels report. These vehicles are the most stolen in our state:
- 2015 Kia Optima - 392 stolen in Colorado
- 2000 Honda CRV - 441 stolen in Colorado
- 2016-17 Hyundai Sonata - 492 stolen in Colorado
- 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 620 stolen in Colorado
- 2005 GMC Pickup - 657 stolen in Colorado
- 2001 Dodge Pickup - 758 stolen in Colorado
- 1997 Honda Accord - 964 stolen in Colorado
- 1998 Honda Civic - 1,002 stolen in Colorado
- 2005 Chevrolet Pickup - 1,487 stolen in Colorado
- 2006 Ford Pickup - 2,231 stolen in Colorado
All pickup truck models in the top 10 list reflect full-size pickup trucks. Overall, the trend for the most stolen vehicles is close to the same nationally. GMC, Ford, and Chevrolet full-size pickup trucks along with the Honda CRV saw double-digit percentage increases in thefts in 2020 when compared to 2019.
Source: Denver Channel