NPS: Stop Licking Colorado River Toads To Get High
Have you ever been out for a hike, saw a majestic creature, and thought “I should lick that"?
Of course, you haven’t. Because that’s stupid. But apparently, the national park service has seen it become such a problem, that they have issued a warning.
According to the National Park Service‘s Facebook page, the Sonoran Desert Toad a.k.a. the Colorado River Toad, is not only one of the largest toads found in North America, but it’s also one of the most deadly.
Why are people licking this toad? Well, the Sonoran desert toad has parathyroid glands that secrete a potent toxin. A toxin that some people claim has psychedelic properties if collected and then smoked.
However, the toxin can also make you incredibly sick if you get the poison in your mouth. The toxin is so poisonous and the fact that it can kill a full-grown dog.
So the national park service is now having to say something out loud that it probably never thought it had to say before.
“As we say with most things you come across in a national park, whether it be a banana slug, an unfamiliar mushroom, or a large toad with glowing eyes in the dead of night, please refrain from licking. Thank you.” - National Park Service
The Sonoran Desert Frog is mostly found in parts of New Mexico, Arizona, and Mexico, but St. George Utah is also a part of the Southwest, so if you see one, please don’t lick it.
Tell you what. If you see any wildlife whatsoever, just don’t lick it. It’s called CONSENT people. look it up.