Colorado City Makes Orkin’s Top 50 Bed Bug Cities List
Orkin has released the list of cities with the worst bed bug problem, and Denver has earned the 27th spot.
The study is used treatment data from Orkin to show where they performed the most bed bug treatments from December 1, 2018, to November 30, 2019.
The ranking includes residential and commercial treatments.
According to the 2018 “Bugs without Borders Survey” by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), the top three places for bed bugs were single-family homes (91 percent), apartments/condominiums (89 percent) and hotels/motels (68 percent).
Bed bug infestation can occur quickly because female bed bugs can deposit up to five eggs a day and up to 500 eggs in its lifetime which can last more than 300 days.
Orkin's Home Tips For Preventing Bed Bugs:
- Inspect your home for signs of bed bugs regularly. Check the places where bed bugs hide during the day, including mattress tags and seams, and behind baseboards, headboards, electrical outlets, and picture frames.
- Decrease clutter around your home to make it easier to spot bed bugs on your own or during professional inspections.
- Inspect your residence regularly—when you move-in, after a trip, when a service worker visits or after guests stay overnight.
- Examine all secondhand furniture before bringing it inside your home. This is a common way for bed bugs to be introduced into homes.
- Wash and dry your bed linens often, using the hottest temperature allowed for the fabric.