5 Reasons to Attend When GJ Big Band Makes Triumphant Return
A Western Colorado based big band will perform for the first time in two years when they return to Fruita's Summer Concert Series next week.
The Frank Bregar Orchestra, a 10-piece dance band, will play this coming Thursday night, June 24, 2021, at Fruita's Civic Center Park. Here are five reasons why you should attend.
They've Been Playing a Long Time
The Frank Bregar Orchestra has performed around Colorado since 1987. Back then the band worked under the name "The Men of Music."
According to their official webpage:
Musical styles offered by the Frank Bregar Orchestra is wide ranging, encompassing both vocal and instrumental arrangements from most danceable realms: Big Band, Swing, Jazz, “light” Rock n’ Roll, Country Western, Rhythm & Blues, Polka, Dixieland, Ballads, and Waltzes. In short, something for everyone.
The Frank Bregar Orchestra will play Thursday evening beginning at 7:30, at Fruita's Civic Center Park. Bring a lawn chair, blanket, or whatever makes you comfy, and find a spot on the lawn.
This is very much a dance band, so bring your dancing shoes, too. While you're at it, it may be wise to bring extra water, a hat, and even though the performance is in the evening, a little sunscreen.
Don't be surprised if there isn't a Marvin sighting at this show.
Special "Spin" On This Performance
The group's leader, Frank Bregar, typically performs on sax and clarinet. Unfortunately, Frank did a digger last week and is now sporting a stylish cast on his arm. Don't worry, he can still participate. In lieu of his normal responsibilities as a saxman and clarinetist, Frank will limit his role to that of vocalist for this performance.
Five Reasons Why You Should Attend
The Fruita Summer Concert Series is always awesome. Summer 2021 is shaping up to be an excellent season for the event. Here are my top five reasons why you should attend this coming Thursday's show:
- The ticket price of "FREE" is pretty hard to beat. I don't know about you, but I experience "Sticker Shock" every time I go to the grocery store. It might be wise to take advantage of free any chance you get.
- This is precisely the type of music you don't get to hear often in Western Colorado. Go to one of these shows and you'll notice everyone, regardless of age, loves this music. Check out the video at top and you'll see what I mean.
- The Frank Bregar Orchestra really is a prime-time act. The ensemble features some of the best players in the region.
- You've been cooped up for months. Here's a chance to get out and enjoy. If you're concerned about social distancing, don't worry. There's plenty of space available and you'll be able to maintain a safe distance.
- This is an excellent opportunity to support live music and the arts. The Fruita Summer Concert Series has established tremendous momentum over the years, and brings a ton of support to Fruita's activities and economy.
Okay, I'm biased. I'm a longtime fan of this group. That, however, is the very reason why I'm confident you'll enjoy this show. You might want to get there a little early in order to get a good spot on the lawn.
FLASHBACK: Beauty Pageant Contestants of Western Colorado