Holiday Scams To Be Aware Of
Be careful this holiday season.
It's the time of the year where everyone is looking for the best deals and discounts possible. It is also a time where some will prey on our desire to save as much money as we can.
Authorities warn us to heed the 'sounds too good to be true' philosophy. It usually is.
Here are four types of holiday scams to be on the look-out for:
1. Online shopping scams
- stay way from unfamiliar websites
- strong/different passwords on your accounts
- don't fall for unrealistic deals
2. Social media scams
- be wary of 'shared' deals on Facebook
- don't post tickets to events you are attending
3. Smartphone app scams
- don't download apps from unfamiliar sources
- watch for fake retailer apps
4. Work-From-Home scams
- never accept where you pay a fee upfront
- be wary of 'no experience' postings
- research any company before you apply
Again, as the saying goes, 'if it sounds too good to be true', it usually is.