Everything You Need to Know About the 2017 ACM Honors
In August, the Academy of Country Music hosted the 11th annual ACM Honors ceremony at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Country artists such as Eric Church, Dolly Parton and Kelsea Ballerini received awards during the event, for their various contributions to country music, and fans across the country will get to watch the ceremony on TV in mid-September.
From when and where to who’s being honored, below is everything you need to know about the 2017 ACM Honors festivities.
What Are the ACM Honors?
The ACM Honors ceremony celebrates special honorees and category winners whose awards presentations didn’t make the ACM Awards broadcast, which aired back in April. The night’s honorees include the winners of the ACM’s Special Awards, Industry Awards and Studio Recording Awards, as well as 2017’s Songwriter of the Year recipient.
When Are the 2017 ACM Honors?
Now in its 11th year, the 2017 ACM Honors ceremony took place at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium on Aug. 23.
How Can I Watch the 2017 ACM Honors?
in 2016, the ACM Honors ceremony was broadcast on CBS for the first time ever, a few days after it took place in Nashville. The 2017 ACM Honors ceremony will air on CBS on Sept. 15 at 9PM ET.
Who’s Hosting the 2017 ACM Honors?
Last year, country trio Lady Antebellum hosted the ACM Honors show; however, in 2017, there was no official host.
Who’s Being Honored at the 2017 ACM Honors?
In addition to ACM Studio Recording Awards winners and Industry Awards winners, the 2017 ACM Honors recognized the following individuals:
- Kelsea Ballerini accepted the 2017 Gene Weed Milestone Award, celebrating her three consecutive No. 1 singles from her debut album. The newly established honor recognizes an “unprecedented or outstanding achievement in the field of country music during the preceding calendar year” and combines the ACM’s Crystal Milestone Award and Gene Weed Special Achievement Awards.
- Eric Church received the Merle Haggard Spirit Award, which recognizes how Church “epitomiz[es] Merle’s spirit through genuine performances and great storytelling.” Miranda Lambert won the first-ever Merle Haggard Spirit Award in 2016. (Church is accepting his honor at a later date.)
- In honor of her extensive humanitarian work, especially in the aftermath of the wildfires that ripped through East Tennessee in late 2016, Dolly Parton received the Gary Haber Lifting Lives Award. A new combination of the ACM’s Humanitarian Award and Gary Haber Lifting Lives Award, the honor “is presented to a country music artist, duo / group or industry professional who is devoted to improving lives through the power of music, has a generosity of spirit and is committed to serving others,” and its winner is determined by the ACM Lifting Lives board of directors.
- George Strait received the Cliffie Stone Icon Award (formerly the Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award), which is given to a country music act or industry leader “who, throughout their career, has advanced the popularity of the genre through their contributions in multiple facets of the industry.”
- Reba McEntire and radio host Bob Kingsley received the Mae Boren Axton Service Award, in recognition of their “years of dedication to the Academy of Country Music.”
- Toby Keith, Willie Nelson and late poet Shel Silverstein received the Poet’s Award, in recognition of their contributions to country music songwriting. (Nelson is accepting his honor at a later date.)
- CMT’s Nashville received the 2017 Tex Ritter Film Award, which “recognizes an outstanding television movie, series or feature film released during the preceding calendar year which prominently features country music.”
- ACM Songwriter of the Year Lori McKenna was honored as well.
Who’s Performing at the 2017 ACM Honors?
George Strait, Kelsea Ballerini, Vince Gill, Toby Keith, Little Big Town, Maren Morris, Brad Paisley, Thomas Rhett, Hillary Scott, Chris Stapleton and Alan Jackson all performed during the 2017 ACM Honors show. Additionally, Clare Bowen, Charles Esten, Cassadee Pope and Brett Young were involved in “special off-camera moments,” as a press release describes them, throughout the ACM Honors event.
Who’s Presenting at the 2017 ACM Honors?
Presenting trophies at the 2017 ACM Honors were Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum, Jimmy Webb, Ross Copperman and Bobby Bones. Additionally, Gill, LBT, Morris, Paisley and Scott — all of whom performed during the event as well — helped present the evening’s awards.
Who Will Be Attending the 2017 ACM Honors?
Among those in attendance at the 2017 ACM Honors were Thomas Rhett, Kelsea Ballerini, Chris Stapleton, Brett Young and many more. Flip through this red carpet photo gallery to see pictures of the stars pre-show.
Go Backstage at the 2017 ACM Honors
How Well Do You Know the ACM Awards?